[slinkelist] Some Linux software available for download

Sami-Pekka Haavisto shaavist@niksula.hut.fi
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:54:58 +0200

I have used Slink-e on my Linux machine for almost five months now. I've
written some software to control S-Link and IR ports. Most of the
software is simply way too crude to be released yet, but I've put
something up for downloading. It is written in Python, so in theory it
should work on other unix-likes as well.

The most important and useful part at the moment is the server module,
which makes it possible to have several different clients using Slink-e
at the same time and removes the need for accessing serial port directly.
It also handles encoding and decoding long messages and some other tasks
making developing actual software easier. Another small program in the
package at the moment is very simple IR-test software that can repeat
received signals.

I also have CD controller software in the works, but it still depends
heavily on some of my older software and thus won't be available for a
while. It works rather well, though, and my automatically updated
playlist can be seen on the web all the time (link is on the page).

And remember, everything's still pre-alpha quality. I use it myself all
the time, but I cannot guarantee that it works on any other machine. But
at least the source code gives an example of how to communicate with the
Slink-e.

And the URL is:

   http://www.iki.fi/sph/slink/

Mail feedback, ideas, bug reports, contributions etc. directly to me.
I'm willing to co-operate on developing comprehensive set of utilities
for controlling Slink-e with unixlike machines.

   -sph

--
Sami-Pekka Haavisto | "The avalanche has already started. It is too late
sph@iki.fi          |
www.iki.fi/sph/ <*> |