[slinkelist] boosting cdj

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Horst_Fred_M=FCller?= HorstFredMueller@t-online.de
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:03:55 +0200

Hi Colby!

Your CDJ is able to memorize each track that was ever played. So it can
build as part of itīs data a list of the most loved tracks. With this
information the software could generate mp3 automatically.  Yes, I know the
discussion about grabbing audio via most faster CD-Roms inside the computer,
but I think that it is not very funny to pick each cd from the automation to
put it into the computerīs drive by hand. My suggestion is not to grab all
the available disks at once ( what would take weeks depending to the amount
of disks) but to save each track from the playlist as a wave file while
hearing it. The cd-changer with itīs built-in error-correction is surely the
better way than doing any jitter-correction in a grab-utility.
So by using a task in the background the file could be converted to mp3
afterwards. For this it is necessary to connect the CD-changer to the
digital input of the computers soundcard. Or, in my case: 3 changers adapted
to a dxs and the dxs routed to the computer. The result would be a slowly
growing amount of mp3 files containing the tracks the user likes most.

The next step could be a graphical view to the database: a window, where the
disks are displayed as bars on the x-axis. The length of each bar
representing the time, divided in tracks. The colour of the tracks: red if
the track was never played and green if played once. The saturation of green
could vary depending how often the title has been played.
So there could be a GUI which gives an overview how the library is used.
Perhaps a pop-up-info can be programmed, which shows album-name and
track-data while running the mouse-cursor over the display. By the way, the
user would be able to select titles just by surfing over the map of the
library and clicking the mouse can transfer it to the playlist or
right-clicking starts the music immediately.

If the computer is running 24 hours a day and 176 hours a week and is not
needed by the user all the time, why should he not compile the library first
in order of titles that have been played and when this is done, start to
convert the rest of music step by step ?  A faster system should be able to
do both: sampling the input of the soundcard to a wav-file and converting it
to mp3. In case of a slower computer the jobs may be cued to be done
daisy-chained. It would not bother me, if the system would need weeks for
this job. What counts is the result: All tracks on a disk of 60 GB in a
structure of directories representing albums sorted by interprets. Then it
would be easy to use the music in a disk-based car-radio or transferring it
to a mp3 mobile player by drag-and-drop the files like usually.

Perhaps these ideas may inspire you and we all  know this is a lot of work
of programming the software, and I have to maintain, cdj is a excellent
application,  which I enjoy every day. But could it be a bit better with the
items above?

Best regards

Horst Fred Mueller, Germany