[slinkelist] Automated ripping and MP3 encoding of entire jukebox

Jamie Cansdale jamie.cansdale@familiar.co.uk
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:29:52 +0100

Hi Dylan,

Has there been any progress made on this?  I've found myself in a similar
situation.  It's frustrating not to have a software solution when all of the
hardware pieces are in place!

There is a potential problem to be aware of when ripping mix CDs.  The track
seek on CD drives is only accurate to within about a second.  For the tracks
to be put back together seamlessly the ripping must proceed like this...

1) Rip the whole CD to a WAV.
2) Convert the WAV to an MP3.
3) Break the MP3 up into tracks (on MPEG Audio frame boundaries).
4) Name and tag the tracks.

I've done some work on steps (3) and (4) in the past.  I was frustrated
because I couldn't find a *single* application that did it right!

Of cause not every CD is a mix.  A solution that can rip individual tracks
would be very useful.  I look forward to seeing something that works!

Yours,  Jamie.