[slinkelist] DXSgusting Customer Relations

Roark7@aol.com Roark7@aol.com
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 00:50:07 EST

After reading everything you submitted, I feel a bit compelled to stand-up
for Colby & Co.

They admitted there was a bug.  To this end they offered to take the unit
back & refund your money... or you could accept the upgrade when it became
available.  The fact the programmer was on vacation sorta sucks, but you said
it yourself: It's a small company. This is bound to happen at some point, and
Murphy says it will happen at the worst time.  Programmers need vacations too.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what else would you have them do? You say
you aren't satisfied with the way they responded yet they offered to make it
right or refund the money. I submit they were square with you when they could
have danced you to death.  I can name a bunch of Fortune 500 companies which
wouldn't have admitted there was a bug in the first place and would plainly
have told you "well gee... that's funny... it worked when it left here... how
did *you* manage to break it? / file a claim with the shipper for damaged
goods", etc.  This would be good for weeks of delay. They could have censored
you from this list.  They didn't.

Any time you get a product more complicated than a toaster-controller, you're
going to have a bug or two.  If you buy into the first few shipments, you can
almost *expect* them. Its just part of the game.  Nothing is perfect the
first release.  If you are emotionally unprepared to deal with this, then you
shouldn't be buying until the trade journals are tired of reviewing the
product.

No flame intended.  Just presenting an alternate point of view.

Roark
Ventura, Ca